The M3 has been one of BMW’s flagship motorsports vehicle, gaining notoriety in the early 90s with the e36 M3. Since then, enthusiasts have flocked to the M3/M4 BMWs to get power, performance, and comfort, all wrapped up in a perfect vehicle. With the release of the BMW G80 M3, we have seen many car enthusiasts waste little time adding mods, such as aftermarket wheels to their cars. To help you get your new wheels mounted up quicker, we here at Velgen Wheels have put together a quick and easy guide for BMW G80 M3 wheel torque specs.
What Are Wheel Torque Specs?
Wheel torque specs are a crucial aspect of maintaining the performance and safety of a vehicle. These are the manufacturer's recommended values for the amount of torque that should be applied to the wheel nuts or bolts when tightening the wheels onto the vehicle. Torque is the force that is used to rotate an object around an axis, in this case, the wheel. It is important to apply the correct amount of torque for several reasons, including preventing damage to the vehicle's components, ensuring that the wheel is securely attached to the vehicle, reducing the risk of accidents due to loose wheels, and maintaining the integrity of the suspension system. Wheel torque specs vary depending on several factors such as the type of wheels, vehicle model, and size of the bolts, and should always be adhered to.
BMW G80 M3 Wheel Torque Specs
The torque specs below should be used as a guide and you should check your user’s manual for the manufacturer’s recommended torque spec. Some models and trim levels may require different specs.
101 ft/lbs / 140 Nm
How To Torque BMW G80 M3 Lug Nuts
To torque wheel lug nuts properly, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Gather the necessary tools: You will need a torque wrench, a socket that fits your lug nuts, and a breaker bar or wrench to loosen the lug nuts initially.
- Loosen the lug nuts: Before lifting the vehicle, use the breaker bar or wrench to loosen the lug nuts by turning them counterclockwise. Be careful not to remove them completely at this stage.
- Lift the vehicle: Use a jack to lift the vehicle off the ground, ensuring that it is properly supported by jack stands. Refer to your vehicle's manual for the correct lifting points.
- Remove the lug nuts: Completely remove the loosened lug nuts from each wheel and set them aside in a safe place.
- Clean the wheel studs and lug nut seats: Use a wire brush or a clean rag to remove any dirt, debris, or rust from the wheel studs and the lug nut seats on the wheel.
- Install the wheel: Carefully place the wheel onto the wheel studs, ensuring that it sits flush against the hub.
- Hand-tighten the lug nuts: Start threading the lug nuts by hand onto the wheel studs in a star or crisscross pattern. This helps ensure even tightening and prevents warping of the wheel.
- Use the torque wrench: Set the torque wrench to the manufacturer's recommended torque value for your vehicle. This information can typically be found in your vehicle's manual or on a sticker located in the door jamb or glove compartment.
- Tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern: Begin torquing the lug nuts in a star or crisscross pattern using the torque wrench. Start with one lug nut, then move diagonally to the lug nut opposite it. Repeat this process until all lug nuts are properly torqued.
- Double-check the torque: After completing the first round of torquing, go back and repeat the process one more time to ensure that all lug nuts are tightened to the specified torque.
- Lower the vehicle: Carefully lower the vehicle back to the ground using the jack, ensuring that all wheels are firmly on the ground before fully removing the jack stands.
- Final check: Give each lug nut a final check with the torque wrench to ensure they are still properly torqued. This step helps ensure that the lug nuts have not loosened during the lowering process.
- Following these steps will help you properly torque your lug nuts and ensure the safe and secure installation of your wheels.
BMW G80 M3 Wheels At Velgen Wheels
When it comes to aftermarket wheels for the BMW G80 M3, there are few providers that can match the quality and style offered by Velgen Wheel. A true industry leader, Velgen Wheels offers an extensive range of sizes, widths, and finishes that can help you achieve the perfect look for your truck. Whether you're looking for a set of sleek and polished wheels to add a touch of sophistication or a completely custom set of wheels to stand out from the crowd, Velgen Wheels has got you covered.