Reinstalling your factory wheels or installing new aftermarket wheels on your Supra is relatively easy, but you will need to know the proper lug nut torque specs. This is a vital specification needed to ensure your wheels are secured tightly to your Supra. Here at Velgen Wheels, we have made this easy with our Toyota Supra wheel torque spec guide.
What Are Wheel Torque Specs?
Wheel torque specs refer to the force needed to tighten the lug nuts on a vehicle's wheel. This value is critical to ensure the wheels stay safely in place while driving. Every vehicle has a specific torque requirement that should be followed to avoid damaging the wheels or the vehicle's suspension. Torque specs vary based on various factors, such as the size and type of wheel, the vehicle's weight, and the engine's power output. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the appropriate specs for your vehicle. Failing to follow the proper torque specs or over-tightening lug nuts can lead to damages, such as warped rotors, stripped lug nuts or broken studs, and even wheel separation while driving.
Toyota Supra Wheel Torque Specs
The torque specs below should be used as a guide and you should check your user’s manual for the manufacturer’s recommended torque spec. Some models and trim levels may require different specs.
76 ft lb
101 ft lb
103 ft lb
Toyota Supra Lug Nut Torque Sequence
Properly torquing lug nuts is crucial for maintaining the safety and performance of a vehicle. Here are the steps to follow when torquing lug nuts:
- Choose the correct torque specification: Refer to the vehicle owner's manual or the specifications above to determine the appropriate torque level for the lug nuts. It is important to use the correct specification as over-tightened lug nuts can damage the wheel or under-tightened lug nuts can result in the wheel coming loose.
- Tighten in a star pattern: Start with one lug nut and tighten to about half the torque specification. Move across to the opposite lug nut and repeat the process. Continue this pattern until all lug nuts are tightened to half the specification.
- Repeat the star pattern: Tighten each lug nut to the full torque specification in the same star pattern used in step 2. This ensures that the wheel is evenly tightened and reduces the risk of it coming loose.
- Use a torque wrench: It is best practice to use a torque wrench to achieve the correct torque level. A torque wrench can accurately measure the force applied to the lug nut and prevent over-tightening.
- Re-torque after driving: After driving for a short period of time, re-check and retorque the lug nuts to ensure they have not loosened. This is especially important after installing new wheels or tires.
By following these steps, you can properly torque your lug nuts and ensure the safety and performance of your vehicle. Remember to always use the correct torque specification and a torque wrench for accurate results.
Toyota Supra Wheels At Velgen Wheels
Velgen Wheel is an industry leading provider of aftermarket wheels for the Toyota Supra. With a wide selection of sizes, finishes, and widths, Velgen Wheels makes it easy to get the perfect look on your Supra. Shop our full selection of Supra wheels today!